You know how great it is when you break in a new pipe, bong, or bowl. Nothing beats that crisp, clean feeling of taking hits off a squeaky clean smoking accessory. Each toke feels fresh and smooth, making you wish each smoking 💨session came from something just out of the box.
You can get that refreshing smoke experience each time you enjoy your CBD flower strains if you make cleaning your dab tools a habit. We’ve got great tips for cleaning your pipes, bongs, and bowls.
Why Cleanliness Is Important
When we don’t get in the habit of regularly cleaning our smoking accessories, bad things happen. Glass bongs become cloudy 🌥 and may sometimes be permanently tarnished.
Nasty odors develop, ruining the sweet leaf smells that make CBD flowers so enjoyable to inhale. Hits that should be smooth become harsh. They turn into coughing fits and sore throats that last for hours.
Why pay good money 💲 for a bong or pipe that is a work of art only to have them develop stains and other unsightly defects that ruin how beautiful they should always be?
How often you need to clean your dab tools depends partly on how often you use them. Someone who enjoys them daily will need to clean them more often than someone who only indulges on the weekends.
A good rule for regular users is to never go more than a few weeks between cleaning sessions.
Clean According to Your Equipment’s Material
The material your pipe, bong, and bowl are made from will determine the proper cleaning method. Using the wrong cleaning agent or technique can cause damage that may be permanent.
Accessories made from glass can be delicate, requiring a gentle hand when cleaning. They can be cleaned using either alcohol or non-alcohol methods.
Metal pipes can be boiled without damaging them.
Wood products can be cleaned using hot water but don’t respond well to harsh chemicals. Using high-proof alcohol may discolor the wood and doesn’t get out all of the residue. Wooden pieces respond best to softer cleaning agents, like vinegar.
Silicone smoking products are the easiest to clean. They are resistant to heat and cold, giving you different options for cleaning up their act.
A Handy List of Cleaning Supplies
A good list of items to have on hand includes:
- Cleaning brushes
- Pipe cleaners
- Cotton swabs
- Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
- Baking soda
- Scraper or knife
- Ziplock bags
- Coarse salt
- Micropore tape
The Vinegar and Baking Soda Cleaning Method
Cleaning a bong:
- Clean out residue with a cotton swab or scraper.
- Rinse the bong with lukewarm water 🌊
- Remove the bowl and place it in a Ziploc bag with a teaspoon of baking soda, a splash of vinegar, and enough lukewarm water to fill the bag halfway
- Shake the bag, then let it rest
- Put a teaspoon of baking soda into the mouthpiece of the bong. Cover the mouthpiece with your hand and the downstem hole with the micropore tape and shake vigorously.
- The baking soda will stick to the wet surface inside. Scrub the inside with a long cleaning brush
- Pour in a tablespoon of vinegar, fill the chamber with lukewarm water, cover the holes, and shake
- Pour out the cleaning solution and rinse the bong thoroughly with lukewarm water
- Rinse the bowl, use a cotton swab to remove any residue, and place it back in the bong
Cleaning a pipe:
- Use a pipe cleaner to remove any blockages
- Fill a container with lukewarm water and a tablespoon each of baking soda and vinegar
- Soak the pipe in the container for five minutes.
- Remove the pipe and thoroughly rinse with lukewarm water
- Use the pipe cleaner one more time
Dish Soap Cleaning Method
Cleaning a bong or pipe:
- Fill a sink with lukewarm water, add a small amount of dish soap
- Remove residue with a cotton swab and scraper
- Let the bong or pipe soak in soapy water for 20 minutes
- Clean the inside of a bong by giving it a good brushing
- Clean a pipe using a pipe cleaner
- Rinse every piece in lukewarm water
Boiling Water Method:
Do not use this method on pieces made from thin glass. Cleaning a bong or pipe:
- Clean the bowl using a cotton swab and scraper.
- Fill part of your sink with boiling water. Soak your piece fully submerged for 20 minutes, then drain the sink
- Clean parts with a pipe cleaner and brush
- Rinse with lukewarm water 🌊
Isopropyl Alcohol Method
Do not use this method on wood pipes. You may want to wear gloves when using this method.
Cleaning a bong:
- Remove the bowl and clean with a cotton swab and scraper, then rinse with water
- Add coarse salt 🧂 to a generous amount of isopropyl alcohol and pour into the bong
- Cover the mouthpiece with your hand and the downstem with micropore tape. Shake vigorously for five minutes.
- Pour out the solution and rinse the bong with lukewarm water
- Use isopropyl alcohol on a tissue or towel to wipe down the bowl and downstem
- Use a pipe cleaner soaked in isopropyl alcohol to scrub the inside of the downstem
Cleaning a pipe:
- Remove residue from the bowl and inside of the stem with a cotton swab and pipe cleaner
- Put the pipe and a tablespoon of coarse salt 🧂 in a Ziplock bag and fill with enough isopropyl alcohol to cover the pipe.
- Shake the bag for five minutes, then let it sit for 10 minutes
- Remove the pipe and rinse with lukewarm water
- Scrub the bowl and stem with a pipe cleaner and brush
- Rinse both thoroughly
Time to Reward Yourself for a Job Well Done
Once you’ve finished your cleaning chores, don’t forget to provide yourself with a reward. Pick a favorite smoking spot, put on a favorite playlist or streaming show 📺, and enjoy your hard-earned CBD flowers with a freshly cleaned dab tool.
Keep up the regular cleaning habit and your equipment will thank you for it. Happy smoking, everyone!