Hitting a bong is one of the small, simple pleasures of a smoker’s life, and rightly so! Bongs, also comically called billy’s, moofs, or bing’s, have been a popular means of consuming hemp flowers and concentrates for not years, but centuries! Yes, you heard that right.
The word ‘bong’ seems to have originated from the Thai word for bamboo shoots, which were used for smoking dry herb hemp flowers and resins, called “baung”. Over 2 millennia ago, tribal chiefs in Asia were also studied to have used different types of bongs to consume herbs and other substances!
What is a Bong?
A bong is a specialized device that is popularly used to smoke or consume dry herb CBD flowers, CBD kief, hemp resin, and other CBD concentrates. They’re often referred to as water bongs as they do come under the column of water-based smoking devices. Water bongs are especially great as the water filters out the smoke produced when the bong is put into action.
Bongs come in various sizes, shapes, and types and can also be converted to dab bongs, a trend that has become excessively popular. They all have pretty similar anatomies though, with a tube, a stem, a water chamber, and a mouthpiece as the main components.
The best bongs have all these elements, but the shape and type dictate what kind of features and function you’d get from the bong.
What Are the Parts of A Bong?
Since bongs are beautifully diverse and come in various types and shapes, it can get confusing when you’re choosing a bong. Understanding the parts of a bong can help you know more about getting the best bong for you. Every bong has 5 basic elements, and additional features according to its type. The basic parts of a bong are:
- Mouthpiece: The mouthpiece is the part at the top of a bong, and is the part through which you’d take in the vapor. There are multiple variations of mouthpieces. You can use this to add water to your bong as well.
- Bowl: A small metal or glass bowl is used to pack in your CBD concentrates or hemp flower. They come as fixed or removable pieces, which means you remove the slider out of the bong if you choose. Most standard bowls will come with a pretty standard bowl, but you can upgrade whenever you wish to.
- Downstem: The downsteam is a long tube, which connects the bowl to the bong. It directs the flow of smoke into the water chamber for filtration. Downstems too can be either fixed or removable. A removable downstem can be much more convenient to clean, however.
- Joint: Joints (no, not the type you smoke), are the connecting junction found in bongs, connecting the downstem to the bong. Joint sizes and genders tell you if a combination of a certain downstem and bowl will be compatible with the bong, and if they’ll create an air-tight connection.
- Water-chamber: The water chamber is where the magic happens. It is usually the base of the bong, which is filled with water or even ice, to ensure that every hit is smooth. The water in the chamber also cools down the vapor and filters it, cleaning the vapor you inhale.
How do Bongs Work?
Every type of bong works in slightly different ways, depending on what features they come with. However, the standard process is very similar. At a basic level, the bong is filled with water, usually at a slightly higher level than the joint. The bowl is filled with herbs, CBD concentrates, or other substances.
Once the bowl is heated and fire is introduced, users slowly start to pull or inhale air from the mouthpiece. The combustion causes the substance to release its vapors, which then travel down the downstem into the water chamber. These vapors go through the water, getting filtered before it is pulled through the mouthpiece and inhaled by the user.
Types of Bongs:
This is that part of the article where we discuss all the different, fun variations of bongs. Be it a small bong or a huge one, a bubbler or standard bong; knowing the types can help you pick the perfect bong for you.
Beaker bongs, as the name suggests, look like beakers used in your high-school chemistry class. However, unlike those dull beakers, these can spruce up life and give you a little extra kick. The biggest advantage of this type is the flat base, which allows you stability on any surface. If you’re a little on the klutzy side, these bongs are great for you!
This kind of bong usually consists of a tube with a rounded or spherical base. The bottom, however, is a flattened base, allowing for easy resting on flat surfaces. It works just like the beaker bong or a tube bong.
Percolators, or bubblers, are some of the most popular types of bongs. These two can come in different shapes and the name hints at the way it works, instead of its look. A percolator has a part inside it that is designed to dissipate the smoke and then send it through the water chamber. This leads to the bubbling or percolation of the water. The perks of this type are that it provides extra filtration and delivers cool, smooth smoke.
Gravity bongs also refer to the particular method of working. Gravity bongs harness the power of great gravity or to be specific, the vacuum caused by the same. In such a bong, a waterfall effect is noticed. When the water is emptied downward, it creates a vacuum in the bong. This vacuum pulls the smoke from the bowl, which can then be inhaled. These bongs are popular as they are extremely potent.
Now that you’re a master in Bong 101, it’s time for you to set out on your groovy adventures. The next time you’re jousting for a sweet hit of your favorite herbs or concentrates, you know exactly what to do! Don’t wait and start looking for the best bong you can buy for yourself! If you want a water bubbler or a glass pipe, you can always check out the Me Time Box subscription and get yourself a new piece every month.